Duties of the Minister of the Interior
The Duties of the Minister of the Interior, apart from those set out in the Political Constitution, include:
- To exercise, at his own responsibility, the duties entrusted by the President or the functions bestowed by Law and to monitor compliance of those assigned on the Ministry’s dependencies by legal mandate, as well as those conferred on the officers thereof.
- To participate in the guidance, coordination and control of ascribed and related entities belonging to the administrative sector of the Interior.
- To direct and guide the planning function of the administrative sector of the Interior.
- To review and approve budget and investment bills of law and the operation and possible use of public credit funds envisaged for the administrative sector of the Interior.
- To monitor the course of budget execution corresponding to the Ministry.
- To subscribe to, on behalf of the State and pursuant to the Public Contracting Law and the Budget Organic Act, all agreements related to matters inherent to the Ministry.
- To lead personnel management functions pursuant to the governing regulations.
- To act as direct supervisor of the legal representatives of the other ascribed and related entities, notwithstanding the nominating function.
- To formulate sectorial policies, general plans, programs and projects of the Administrative Sector of Interior, under the guidance of the President.
- To represent the National Government in its matters of concern, as well as in the execution of treaties and international covenants, pursuant to the legal norms governing this matter.
- To organize and regulate functional management areas and work groups for the adequate attention of the dependencies’ affairs.
- To create, establish and assign functions to the advisory and coordination bodies needed to comply with the Ministry’s mission, through administrative acts, within the framework of competence.
- To coordinate the Ministry’s activity, as to its mission and objectives, with the National Public Entities and decentralized entities per territory and services, the National Congress, the Judicial Branch, the National Register Office of the Civil State and the control organisms. (SIC) (Translator’s note: this section is absolutely confusing in the original language and, therefore, translation cannot be corrected).
- To issue instructions to the National Police for the preservation and restoration of the internal public order in matters not pertaining to the Ministry of National Defense.
- To plan, coordinate and formulate policies and to establish guidelines to set the Directorate of the Colombian legal and the justice system.
- To prepare and promote bills of law and legislative actions at the National Congress in matters related to the objectives, mission and functions of the Ministry and to coordinate the action of the National Government before the National Congress, jointly with the other ministers.
- To promote international cooperation within the respective instances with the support of the competent state entities, in the matters of competence.
- To carry out special programs required in furtherance of the pertinent duties.
- To coordinate and direct the State’s action aimed at developing the "Program to Bring People and Outlawed Armed Groups Back to the Civil Life", whereby people and outlawed armed groups and criminal organizations will be assisted to ensure their demobilization and voluntary abandonment of arms, together with the Ministry of National Defense.
Paragraph: The function set forth in numeral 19 is temporary and shall remain with the Ministry as long as the public order situation so requires.
- To formulate and adopt the policies, general plans, programs and projects of the Interior Sector.
- To pursue the legal security and the reduction of transaction costs in the relations among legal entities.
- To formulate and adopt government policy in matters regarding internal public order; political issues; peace, citizen coexistence and the fundamental rights and freedoms; citizen participation in the Nation’s life, social and political organization; matters regarding ethnical groups; the relations between the Nation and the territorial entities of the Republic and other pertinent matters.
- To pursue territorial planning and autonomy by strengthening relations between the State and the territorial entities regarding the de-centralization policy and the institutional development.
- To strengthen the management of political affairs and the participative and pluralist democracy to ensure access to citizen and community participation spaces and mechanisms in life and in the State social and political organization.
- To formulate policies, ensure rights and verify management of all ethnic group affairs.
- To ensure the normal development in the election process, promoting the institutions’ modernization to exercise political rights.
- To coordinate its matters of competence with other institutions.
- To strengthen the Ministry’s leadership and summoning capability in its matters of competence.
- To manage international cooperation resources to support its projects.
- To summon, train and encourage social actors to commit to the social tissue construction and strengthening.
- To timely and efficiently respond to requests made by social actors or agents.
- To coordinate and promote modernization of movements, political parties and social organizations.
- To provide timely information to citizens regarding its matters of competence.
- To coordinate and assess the election processes carried out both nationally and regionally.
- To promote respect for fundamental human rights and International Humanitarian Rights.
- To promote among communities respect for ethnical community traditions and culture.
- To strengthen the fundamental rights of ethnic communities and human rights in high-risk zones.