What is the Anti-paperwork law, Law 962 of 2005?
This law is a governmental initiative that establishes the fundamental guidelines for the policies to streamline procedures, which guide the Public Administration’s actions in citizen-business relations with the State on its various levels, in order to exercise the activities, rights or compliance of obligations.
What is the purpose of the Law 962 of 2005?
This judicial instrument is based on the construction of modern and transparent public management, through technological strengthening, and allows the citizen to access public services in an agile and effective manner, while also generating time and cost savings, and avoiding unjustified demands of the Colombians people. All requirements, according to the order in which they are required by the administration, should be registered in the Single Information System of Procedures, el Sistema Único de Información de Trámites (SUIT), which is operated through the Colombian Government’s Webpage, PEC (www.gobiernoenlinea.gov.co).
What does the Law 962 de 2005 prohibit?
It prohibits the public authorities from establishing additional procedures, requirements and permissions for exercising activities, rights or obligational compliance, unless the law explicitly authorizes them. In this way, it prohibits requesting the submission of documents from competition of other relevant authorities. For more information, look at the obligations from the Law 962 (Annex 3).
What are the objectives of the Law 962 of 2005?
- Improve the quality of life of citizens in their relations with the Public Administration (reduced lines, costs and procedures with improved agility and effectiveness).
- To be able to count on an efficient Government, effective and transparent (with better agility in its procedures and improved inter-institutional coordination). To this end, the principle of collaboration, the respective entities are obligated to form alliances in order to share more information and not pass along this obligation to the citizens/users.
The Anti-paperwork Decree 019 of 2012: what does it look to do?
- Form a new relationship between the State and its citizens as users and recipients of its services, with the goal to make their lives a little kinder.
- Protect and guarantee the effectiveness of the rights of all natural and legal persons with respect to the Public Administration.
- Make public institutions commit to being more efficient and effective.
- Eliminate or reform existing processes, procedures and regulations that are deemed unnecessary for the Public Administration.
What does el Decree prohibit in the procedural process?
- Request documents already located in the same entity.
- Verify the submission of payments already completed with the same administration.
- Reject submitted forms that contain appointment, spelling, typing or arithmetic calculation errors.
- It is not required to have a lawyer act upon one’s behalf in order to carry out administrative procedures, unless they are a source of appeal.
Request economic indicator certifications in order to expedite processes or actions with the authorities; the consultation of the entity’s website is sufficient.